Higher Degrees by Research Courses

Postgraduate degrees which mainly involve research are called higher degrees by research (HDR). At least two thirds of the work (or 'student load') in the program must be research to qualify as an HDR.

Our research programs

We offer three higher degrees by research:

How to apply

Please submit your expression of interest.


Monash University Institute of Graduate Research
Phone: (+ 61 3) 9905 1538.
Email: research.degrees@monash.edu

When to submit

You can generally apply for research degrees at any time during the year. However if you are an applicant for the Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD), please contact the Law HDR Coordinator to coordinate your commencement date.
Email:  law-research@monash.edu
Phone:  (+ 61 3) 9905 3342